1. Formulate, describe and implement a challenging and self-directed programme of study, relating to your Project Proposal
- Video and Film-making – an acknowledgement the fact that I am now going to use video….
- the use of cinematic techniques in narrative and trying to understand more about what I am doing
- examining filmmakers work ( plus some analogue references)
- Includes interesting comments by Shona Illingworth which are even more relevant now-
- Into Unknown Territory
- Looking at the Digital and the Physical
- Thinking about their importance in my work.
- An early recognition of ‘space’ ( but I hadn’t fully acknowledged it’s importance in my practice)
- An introduction to digital/human space interface
- Digital and Physical
COMMUNICATION AND PRESENTATION:
- Analysing the Audiences and how I reached them ( or not) in The Reading Room Event
- For future decisions re- methodology,
- Publicity and how it worked as part of the Event
- Retrospective Audience Analysis
PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Taking part in a performance workshop to extend my experience
- Thinking about physical interface and working in public space.
- Useful as it was with artists/ people from other disciplines
- Florence Peake Workshop (I missed the public performance but saw documentation later at the Test-Run event below)
- Re-purposing Analogue Video Workshop at OVADA Oxford.
- Analogue and digital messing about with other artists
- An opportunity to show some work informally
- ‘networking’ –
2. Critically engage with practice-based research and contribute actively to debate and discussion
- Summary of things I felt worked and didn’t work
- Summary of peoples comments on my work and my response.
- This doesn’t cover discussions about colleagues work during the review
- But does mention an ‘in -the-pub’ discussion I had after the Low. Res.!
- Reflections on Mid-Point Review Presentation
- Sorting out analogue and digital tech issues and thoughts about time and space.
- Practical problems and how I was trying to solve them feeling very isolated.
- I actually did more than this but but no photos or Blog – just relief that I had worked through it
- Connections and Communication
- Body as a screen/ support.
- I thought this was about something I would like to show…and it may still be…
- but it actually made me realise the ‘people’ were at the core –
- 4 way projection
- Messing about in an obsessive way
- Lead me to see lots of other events and work differently in terms of this process
- And understand how I can use it more and differently-
- Making it a methodology –
- Latest Salt Way
COLLABORATIVE AND/OR INDEPENDENT WORKING:
- Describing feelings of personal conflict around associations with the communities and concerns how I might resolve them
- This has affected how I work with communities in the future or
- What to be wary of if in the same situation again..
- Reading Room – the beginning – 1st and 2nd visit
- Some of my distractions and mistakes to learn from
- Reading Room The Event Retrospective Reflection 2
3. Critically reflect upon your practice and articulate a clear understanding of methodology and context of your creative practice
- How the process of writing my research paper has impacted on my methodology, context and subject.
- Thee process of researching, writing and trying to fit the product into a formal research paper format told me a lot about my practice methodology and the main conceits of my work.
- I’ve always produced essays and writing that ‘fitted the bill’.
- This time I couldn’t get what I wanted into the format ‘ Squaring a circle’
- Research Paper – struggle and resolution
- Investigating contemporary performance – producing affect and digital engagement .
- A really useful couple of sessions at Modern Art Oxford.
- Met some old and new colleagues and saw some contemporary stuff LIVE
- plus some good research papers.
- Feeling of belonging to an artistic community
- And useful technically
- Test- run and Ruskin Shorts Performance- MOA
- Working out essential elements of my practice and their association with future methodology .
- Arriving back at work that I was doing before I started the MA
- Understanding more what I was doing then ,
- Plus the aspect of place, space and geography which somehow I had ignored!!!
- There should be other posts as this process has continued but is hopefully reflected in my new Proposal. –
- Control vs contingency
COMMUNICATION AND PRESENTATION:
- Reflections on modes of presentation and invisibility.
- I was keeping my work hidden often.
- I was confused about my audience.
- This shows that position
- I hope it has shifted now and will try to make sure it doesn’t slide back
- Who were you when you made the work?
- Analysing the Activities at the Reading Room Event
- How they operated wrt to the conceit of the event in both paces of ‘exhibition’ and from a practical pov.
- Things that will be concerns for all future work
- And a starting place for these challenges as I move on from Unit 1.
- What do I need to control to make the work ‘work’
- And what do I leave to chance and be part of the work…I think I will have to work that out each time
- Retrospective Analysis- Film, Live Stream , Conversation