28th June 2015:
By now I was really working up to the event At The Reading Room and had booked it for 18th July to co-incide with the MA Interim Show at Camberwell.
The idea was that I would show images at Camberwell but the actual event would be at the `reading Room.
This is because i have a problem with showing in an exhibition space and ‘audience’ i.e. who are the audience for my work….
I feel it is the people I have been working with in the community in Croughton, rather than the art school, London audience.
I was working on a series of things for the event.
- People printing their own newspaper using a large roll of paper and linocut alphabet.
- Dadaist style newspaper making using cut-up text and images for a range of newspapers from all over the world.
- Newspapers from all over the world and some from personal archive the be read in the Reading Room and prompt discussion of current affairs etc.
- Alternative Playing Cards for Whist with images from newspapers
- people bring slides and photographs of the Reading Room and other memorabilia
- Showing of the film I was working on combining video of the Reading Room with reckon recordings of news particularly relating to issues i was thinking about wrt Croughton/ Broad band connection and RAF Croughton/ drones etc.
I went to the Reading Room to work and use it as a studio in advance of the event and Jane and I distributed posters and leaflets around the village to encourage people come.
On this day below couple of visitors from a neighbouring village dropped in. Both were artists.
You can see from the image that someone else thought about it… the camera was filming outside the building through the window.
I also wanted to check the Broadband signal as I wanted to set up a live feed on the day for participants from the MA Show.
Gigaclear have still not installed the new Fiberoptic Broadband which was promised.
So I think this will prove difficult but I want to try it as this is a main part of the work. The isolation of the Reading Room and what it has been in the context of contemporary communications and world events.There is no Phone signal for my network and even the analogue radio signal was dodgy. I listened to ‘Heart’ whilst I worked.
I cut up newspapers and made lino letters in anticipation.